Our black carbon filters have been tested by several EPA-accreditied laboratories. Here are some testing highlights:
1) Bisphenol-A - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
2) Chloramines - Removed to greater than 99.9%. With many water municipalities switching to chloramine disinfection instead of chlorine, a growing chorus of our customers wanted the answer to this question.
3) Pharmaceuticals - Removed to greater than 99.5%. This has also been a hot button issue. Many studies over the past five years show that pharmaceuticals are washing down our toilets that local municipal filtration plants do not remove from our water supply. Our filters were tested for 17 different types of pharmaceuticals and results that none are present.
4) Petroleum Contaminants - Removed to greater than 99.9%. The unfortunately too common incidence of oil spills and petroleum contamination leads to the pollution of our waterways and water sources. Our filters remove these.
5) Methylcycohexane-methane - Removed to greater than 99.9%. This was the contaminant involved in a West Virginia oil spill back in March, 2014 .Try spelling that in a spelling bee!
6) Coliform and e-Coli - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
7) Rat Lung and Giardia Lamblia Parasite - Many Hawaii customers ask about this, and yes, testing shows no traces of Rat Lung or Giardia with our filters. Giardia s an intestinal infection marked by abdominal cramps, bloating, nausea and bouts of watery diarrhea. Ouch!
HEAVY METALS (HIGH & LOW pH LEVELS)
Aluminum (>99%); Antimony (>99.9%); Barium (>80%); Beryllium (>99.9%); Bismuth (>99.9%); Cadmium (>99.7%); Cobalt (>95%); Chromium (>99.9%); Chromium 6 (>99.85%); Copper (>99.9%); Iron (>99.9%); Lead (>99.9%); Mercury (>99.9%); Molybdenum (>90%); Nickel (>99.9%); Vanadium (>87.5%); Zinc (>99.9%).
VIRUSES – Removes >99.999% (Log 5)
Exceeds Purification Standard (Log 4):
MS2 Coliphage ; Fr Coliphage.
PATHOGENIC BACTERIA – Removes >99.9999999%
Exceeds Purification Standard (Log 6): Bacillus atrophaeus (Anthrax surrogate); Raoultella terrigena (Pathogenic Bacteria Surrogate); Salmonella Enterica. Wash those cutting boards!
TRIHALOMETHANES – Removes to >99.8%
(Below Lab Detectable Limits):
Bromodichloromethane ; Bromoform ; Chloroform ; Dibromochloromethane.
Removes to Below Lab Detectable Limits: Chloramine; Chloride; Chlorine Residual (Total Residual Chlorine); Free Chlorine
PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS CONTAMINANTS – Removed to >99.9%
Acetaminophen; Caffeine; Carbamazepine; Ciprofloxacin HCl; Erythromycin USP; Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim; Bisphenol A; Diclofenac Sodium; 4-para-Nonylphenol; 4-tert-Octylphenol; Primidone; Progestrone; Gemfibrozil; Ibuprofen; Naproxen Sodium; Triclosan.
ALSO REMOVES OR REDUCES: Arsenic (>99%), Nitrites (>95%), Selenium (>97.5%), Thallium (>99.5%), rust, silt, sediment, turbidity, foul taste, odors.
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) - Removed to below Lab detectable limits